Son with phimosis

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bucky 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

suzzer77

Hi All

About a year ago my now 6yr old complained of an itchy willy, we noticed a little discharge and inflammation so took him in to the hospital straight away.

Pediatrician noted phimosis, and prescribed a betamethasone 0.1% cream twice daily with gentle retraction after 3 to 4 weeks. We were told it could take 3-6 months to correct fully.

Whilst there was significant improvement after a few months (full retraction) this proved only temporary and we are pretty much back to square one after stopping the cream after 6 months.

Surgeon now recommends full circumcision, which involves 15 min under general anaesthestic.

There have been no further infections since as we have paid much more attention to appropriate hygiene down there (I do my best but am not a prefect parent!) and my son is in no discomfort whatsoever when peeing etc.

My gut tells me there is no rush for circumcision at all, and of course reading around here and other websites has confirmed my bias. His phimosis may well correct itself over time?

What would you folks do in my position??!

TYIA for reading and any replies.

• #39563 Reply

Jim

Leave him alone. For the surgeon to diagnose a six year old with phimosis is unethical. Under normal conditions, the foreskin doesn’t become retractile until puberty and often beyond. Be careful with too much cleaning. Soap is especially risky as it removes protective bacteria. Betamethasone also invites infection. If any itching or unusual redness occurs, treat for yeast.

Your hunch is right.

• #39564 Reply

sam
    Keymaster

I am not a medical professional.

I feel that if your son in not in discomfort and any infections etc are under control, then there is not really a need for any intervention. I am not even sure if Betamethasone is needed yet.

When your son is around 16 perhaps you will need to have a chat with him then about how foreskin works and he can determine himself it its working ok. You could even show him a suitable video on the internet. I didn’t have any reference such as the internet and went into adult hood thinking my foreskin was normal when in fact I had retraction issues. Don’t be afraid to have this awkward conversation with him when he is a more suitable age.

• #39608 Reply

Bucky

I understand your son has a non-retractile foreskin, but it is wrong to consider it to be pathological phimosis.

He is normal for his age.  All boys start life with a non-retractile foreskin. The foreskin gradually becomes retractable over a period of years.  The average age of first foreskin retraction, according to survey carried out in Denmark, is 10.4 years.

Some guys do not develop retractile foreskins until late in puberty.

The doctor who told you your son needs a circumcision is either ignorant of normal foreskin development or he is malicious.  I would not see him again.

You only need to wash the outside of the foreskin.  Wash the penis like washing a finger.

The inside is self-cleaning.  The sterile urine flushes out the foreskin when he pees.

The foreskin is part of the penis, so a circumcision is an amputation of part of the penis.

The foreskin is where  the nerves are so circumcision forever harms sexuality.

Circumcision is a last resort and you are not there yet.

• #39610 Reply

Tim

As someone who was born with phimosis and who’s parents were fully aware, but never bothered to inform me, I can only share my point of view.

I’m thankful they didn’t have me circumsized but finding out after 20+ years was god awful. If you decide to go against getting your son circumsized, I’d think you want to keep an eye on how your son is developing, that might pose problems during puberty, because you probably won’t be able to check visually, nor get an honest answer out of him regarding his genitalia.

Keeping track of my development is something i’d have wanted from my parents. It can be fully solved through stretching, but you can’t let it go on for too long. Solving phimosis at 20+ is, in my opinion, way too late.

• #39611 Reply

Bucky

Yes, indeed.  After a boy reaches puberty and still has a non-retractile foreskin, then it is time to start a program of daily stretching.

Reply To: Son with phimosis
Your information: